[NAGDU] Touch command

Caitlyn Furness caitlyn.furness at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 14:14:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

The “touch” command, or the target command is when your dog touches your outstretched hand with his nose.

You can teach this by putting a treat in your closed fist and holding out your hand.  When the dog sniffs your hand, give him the treat.  Repeat for practice until he understands the word “touch.

you can also do this by using a clicker.  Hold out your hand.  When the dog touches or sniffs your hand, click and treat.  Add the command “touch” when your dog is consistantly touching your hand when you present it.  Back off on the treats and only give them randomly, eventually fading them out altogether, or just reward very randomly to keep the dog sharp.

hth,
Caitlyn and Maggie