[NAGDU] How Much Food?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Dec 24 15:17:10 UTC 2015

The volume of food doesn't matter so much as the nutritional value and the
calorie count.  Example, a cup of salad is not the same as a cup of ice
cream.  Then there is metabolism, environmental conditions, calories used
and the list goes on.  Every dog is going to be a little different in how
much they eat.

The best way to tell if your dog is eating an appropriate diet is to look at
overall health.  Things like: coat condition, bad breath, chronic ear or
skin infections, very loose stool or constipation and general level of
energy.  To tell if your dog is at a good weight, you should be able to feel
the ribs with gentle pressure.  So petting the rib cage should result in
being able to tell there are bones under there.  The last couple of ribs,
near the waist, should be a bit more noticeable and there should be a
definite tuck at the waist.

A scale can be helpful, but I don't rely heavily on it.  Muscle weighs more
than fat by volume.  Your dog can gain weight, but be at the same size
because the weight gain is muscle.   I think it's more important to take
into account the whole picture, rather than a number on a scale or a line on
a measuring cup.

JMHO
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC