[nagdu] perhaps it's all in the word

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 27 20:50:09 UTC 2015

Hi!
This discovery is by no means scientific, even proven, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I might just be on to something!

Jenny girl and I have had a bit of a hard time finding empty seats.  It is not so good that she finds one every time, nor so bad that I have felt the overwhelming need to do multiple training sessions on it.

Traditionally, I have used "Find a seat," and it's been hit or miss.  A coworker mentioned yesterday that I might want to try "Find a chair."  At first I thought it was a silly distinction, but decided to try it out today at lunch.  Lo and behold... she found me an empty CHAIR at the table!

I decided to keep going with this.  She needed to relieve after I ate lunch, so we went back to my desk so I could get my key card.  I told her to find the chair, and she put her nose right on my desk chair, and then found the post where I hang my coat.  We went outside, she did her business, and then came back in

I tried again with "Find the chair" when we walked back into the office; tried again when we walked into my boss' (empty) office, and even went into another empty office to work on it.  Then we went back to my desk, where I told her to find the chair.  Nose went on desk chair, tail wagged happily...

Methinks I will need to try this on the bus today!

Daryl