[nagdu] state laws on service animals

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Jan 11 03:47:01 UTC 2015

Thank you so much Marion.  OAGDU became interested in this because of
the NAGDU app.  I was reading through a few of the laws in different
states and other OAGDU members were doing the same.  I believe we need
to strengthen our laws and, like Florida, make it a crime to claim a
dog as a service animal when it is only a pet.

I believe several OAGDU members will be on the call tomorrow night.
We rearranged our monthly meeting to encourage member participation.

On 1/10/15, Marion Gwizdala <blind411 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Marianne,
>
> 	I am happy to learn OAGDU and the Ohio affiliate are taking this on!
> I know Ohio's statutes need a lot of work to make them clear, including
> changing the term "assistance animal" to "service animal" and further
> defining it. I will take a closer look at Ohio's laws and offer my
> suggestions. I am not biased, but Florida has a very good law, except it
> has
> not been modified since the new implementing regulations took effect in
> 2011. There is currently a bill in our legislature that will impose
> criminal
> penalties for fraudulently passing a pet off as a service dog. We are
> working to get the legislature to also adopt the new language of the ADA's
> implementing regulations which more restrictively defines a service animal.
> I have attached Florida's law fyi.
>
> 	Also, please do not forget the NAGDU leadership meeting on Sunday at
> 8:00 EST. I look forward to Ohio being well represented.
>
> Fraternally yours,
> Marion

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053