[nagdu] guide dog and parents issue

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Mon Jan 12 22:32:50 UTC 2015

In the beginning you probably shouldn't let your dog run around off
leash.  Once you know your dog will come when called you might be able
to loosen up a little.  If you let your dog off leash it definitely
needs to be in a controlled area so you can maintain control.  We had
pens at Leader Dog where we could let our dogs run around.  I took my
dog out there and stayed in the pen with the dog so she could play.

On 1/12/15, John Sanders via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question:  I had a chance to go over to my parents house Last week.
> I wsa gone from Last Wednesday to last saturday.
> Mollie did a lot of wineing the first night because of nervousness.
> My dad had told me that I should let Mollie run around outside off leash to
> get her exercise.
> I wsa told  while I was in training at Pilot Dogs that I should never let my
> dog run around off leash to get exercise.
> My parents are not listening to me and what I’m saying.
> I feel like I’m arguing with them and I’m not getting anywhere.
> My parents have two dogs.
> A golden Retriever and a Austrailian Sheperd  combined with Shelty breed.
> How should I go about telling them that having my dog off leash and running
> around isn’t a good thing to do?
> I’ve told them that at Pilot dogs they encouraged us not to let our dogs off
> leash.
> I do apologize if this off-topic.
> I didn’t know where else to post this.
> I hope to hear from you soon.
> Sincerely,
> John and the always Beutifull, always Gorgeous Mollie who likes to sleep

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053