[nagdu] water intake question

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jan 21 18:20:11 UTC 2015

John,

In regards to the water, if she is drinking it later on, then that's a
good thing. You are right to consider the fact that she is still a puppy
and may have different needs than a fully adult dog, and her needs may
vary at times as she finishes growing and as her system develops. You're
obviously paying attention to her needs and considering what needs to be
considered. I think you will be surprised how quickly you learn as the
two of you settle in together in your home. In a way, her youth can be
an advantage, as well, though she will probably need more support from
you than an adult would. You will be guiding the last phase of her
maturing process, and you will also be able to see her finish growing up
and becoming the dog she will be, which is pretty cool. Then one day,
you will suddenly realize it is all very easy after all and that your
dog is also very easy because she's a grown up. /smile/

Supposing everybody just shuts up and lays off, of course. Sounds like
you're getting it from all sides. This happens, unfortunately, and it is
tough to deal with. Here you are, trying to learn a whole new skill set
with a living being who depends on you as much as you depend on her, and
who has time to even deal with outside interference? I like to listen to
advice and outside observations, but I've learned that when it comes to
my guide, I need to be very firm about drawing boundaries. It helped
when I realized how much of the "advice" from "experts" (in quotes) was
pure doodoo from folks who barely had a clue about dogs, let alone guide
dogs. Honestly! I think part of the learning process involves figuring
out who to listen to and when, as well as how to keep those boundaries
intact.

As for the accident in the hallway... It happens, especially for
newbies. You're learning something new, and you make mistakes. The
important thing is to recover and learn from it. You will be less likely
to forget to have a bag on you from now on, I bet. Then you'll find
yourself trying to pay for groceries with the bag you carry in your
wallet as an added just in case... Or is that just me? /lol/

I hope your school is able to support you through what seems to be a
difficult settling in process and that the people around you can learn
to respect your boundaries. Do you have choices in home healthcare
workers? Can you bar the one who is interfering in favor of another, for
instance, if it comes to that? And how dependent are you on your family
at this point? Staying away from them may not be an easy decision, and
just refusing to give them leave to inspect and interfere also sounds
drastic. If it were to come to that, you wouldn't be the only one who
has had to do it. It's your personal safety at stake in the end. If
people can't respect that, then...

Keep asking questions and learning. I hope things settle down for you as
you adapt to being a dog owner and guide dog handler. Molly sounds like
a great dog.

hth,

Tami