[nagdu] Offset or ergonomic handle

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:31:29 UTC 2015

GEB starts everyone with a straight harness handle, and will make
exceptions if you express any concerns or preferences for a different
harness handle. But you don't have to ask. If your instructor observes
any tendencies or issues you have with the straight handle, they will
suggest you use something different and have you try it out on a walk
with your dog.
My instructor gave me an offset handle after 3 days of me constantly
crowding my dog. She kept telling me I was crowding him, but it wasn't
something I could consciously help.
I fractured my right foot in my early teens and it healed incorrectly.
Because of this, I walked with a tendency toward the right. To
compensate for this and in an attempt to walk straight, I
intentionally positioned myself to face slightly left while walking.
After years of this, it obviously was natural for me to walk that way,
so when the dog was thrown into the mix, I subconsciously continued to
walk with a left tendency. Even with an offset handle, I still
sometimes crowd my dog, and at times, I even question whether we are
walking straight because of my alignment in relation to his body. This
has improved over the 3 years we've been a team, but I think I will
always have to use an offset handle considering that foot is always
gonna be how it is.

The offset handle is a problem for some dogs laying on their right
side. The Golden Guy doesn't care and will lay on his right side with
the harness handle on. But I remove the handle in situations where
we'll gonna hang out for a while so he doesn't have to tolerate it.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs