[nagdu] lots and lots of very overweight dogs.

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 15:30:39 UTC 2015

It is not only older dogs that are overweight. Ages 4, 5, or 6 are not
old for a dog. And yet plenty of dogs around these ages are
overweight. Obviously, the schools could stand to educate more about
portion size, activity level, and low-key ways to exercise your dog.
People are too busy looking for excuses rather than looking for
plausible solutions concerning their overweight guide dogs.

Pertaining to your retired guide Debby, there are certainly options.
Do you have any friends, neighbors, or family members who you would
trust to walk Lamar? Other people who already walk their dogs in your
area might be down for taking your boy along.
You can also invest in a toy or two that activate or stimulate his
prey-drive or drive for food. There are plenty of toys now that
bounce, move, and roll around to get your dog to chase after them.
Also, simple toys like puzzle toys stimulate your dog mentally and
physically, especially the round ones that roll and compel the dog to
move with the toy to continue getting the food out. For a puzzle toy,
you can subtract food from his daily portion and put it in the puzzle
so there's no worry for weight gain. You could also use low calorie
treats like frozen bits of fruit, or frozen berries.
If you need help finding some of these toys, we can help with that.
Hth.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs