[nagdu] Signed up by family?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jun 19 15:25:01 UTC 2015

I just got the GDB newsletter for the general public, and there's a bit I
think is odd or over-the-top or patronizing, really.

So-and-so suddenly lost his sight, and found ways to go on for years, but
felt something was missing.  Then "his wife stepped in and signed him up for
a guide dog, and, before he knew it, he was at GDB, being matched with his
new partner."

Really?  I've sometimes wished I could "sign someone up" for a guide dog,
but it takes a real commitment from the person to get through the training
and the first few months of adjustment, at least.  It's not a decision
someone else could take for me, or me for someone else.

When my brother fell down a manhole using his cane, my mother did sit him
down and tell him he should get a guide dog, like his sister.  He decided it
was good advice, and has been happy with the decision, but, if he'd decided
otherwise, there wouldn't be a darn thing anyone could have done about it,
even if they'd wanted to try.

The GDB piece just seemed weird to me.  Why would they even want to
encourage someone to sign up someone else?  What makes them think I have a
keeper, who can make life-changing decisions for me?

Has anyone actually heard of such a thing happening?

Tracy