[nagdu] Why, or why not?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jun 19 17:46:22 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel.
I'm sorry having a dog hasn't been working out for you.
I've had 7 dogs now, though it's hard to remember specific problems with the
older ones.  It's the old, polished dog I remember best.
But I can tell you the annoyances I'm having with the new pup.  He's young,
and loves to pick up things.  If things are not on the floor, he will jump
on a chair to reach what he wants, even though he has lots of toys on the
floor.  He is slowly growing out of this, but still needs a lot of
supervision, more than any dog I've ever had, pet or guide.
At the end of class, he suddenly realized I wasn't very effective at
stopping him scavenging, and now he tries it at nearly every opportunity.  I
am constantly either catching him in a dive or taking something out of his
mouth.  I have become familiar with the location of the restroom in several
popular destinations, just so I can wash dog spit off my hands.  I hope that
I will over time be able to stop or greatly diminish his scavenging
attempts, but it will take a while, and I may always have to deal with it to
some degree.
He has an annoying habit of creeeeeeping up on some things, like curbs or
steps.  Again, I'm working on it, and it's getting better, but, meantime,
I'm sure it makes me look utterly ridiculous to anyone watching.

The new pup doesn't shed much, except for a few days this spring.  Even
then, he was well-groomed in a few minutes.  If it's a concern, you could
ask for a dog who doesn't shed a lot.  My labs have been fairly
low-shedders.
HTH, and good luck with whatever you decide.
Tracy