[nagdu] minature horses as guides

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:11:42 UTC 2015

Wow! Okay, we just had this big topic on the drawbacks of having a
guide dog. We talked about all the downsides to a dog, and despite the
downsides, we still thought the advantages outweighed the
disadvantages. We mentioned here and there about whether a cane or dog
was better, the general view being that it depends on the person and
their particular preferences and circumstances.
So it doesn't make any sense to just flat out say, "The guide horse is
stupid." Or, "The guide horse is impractical." There are some people
who feel the same way about dogs, and the same way about canes, as
we've seen in this discussion of mobility aids. For some people, a dog
is impractical. For some people a cane is impractical. And for some
people, a guide horse is impractical. And just the same, for some
people, a certain mobility aid has the most advantage. As we've also
seen, some of us rely on more than one mobility aid depending on the
situation.
Do I think guide horses will be as common as dogs and canes? No, for
the reasons Ann talked about. But again, as far as mobility aids go
apart from their mobility-irrelevant aspects, it's possible a horse is
a better guide than a dog.
I just think some of us are making hasty generalizations without
getting all the details, and passing judgments on something that we're
not very familiar with. Not saying we don't have the right to judge.
We're always going to. But I think we should consider our judgments
carefully in the context of other judgments we've made.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs