[nagdu] Taking SDS to Iceland

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 25 16:41:39 UTC 2015

Hi, Shanna,

I am interested to see what you find out about taking a service dog to
Iceland. I don't have any information about the rules concerning dogs, but I
do know that the rules about importing horses of any kind into Iceland are
very simple and strict: namely, that no horses are allowed to be imported at
all--no quarantine, no chipping, no certificates, no titers, no nothing.
Horses were taken to Iceland from Europe over 1000 years ago, and since that
time the Icelandic horse has been isolated from outside equine diseases,
pests, etc. Even now, if someone takes an Icelandic horse off the island to
go to a show in Europe or somewhere else, that horse cannot ever return to
Iceland. I know this because I have had two Icelandic horses who were
imported from Iceland. I think they also don't allow tack, like bridles or
saddles that have been used, or boots or clothing that has been worn around
horses, to be brought into the country. Iceland does have its own dog breed,
the Icelandic shepherd, so I suspect the rules might be the same for dogs as
they are for horses. But perhaps the dogs have not been so isolated as the
horses, since it is a lot easier to carry dogs on board boats, which was the
main way that people/animals got to Iceland before the advent of the
airplane.

Anyway, if I were you, I would definitely try to get information directly
from the consulate of Iceland or a website that is specific to that country,
rather than assuming that the rules for Iceland will be the same as for
other European countries.

Good luck,
Ann