[nagdu] Omega oil for dogs

jaynewy4 at aol.com jaynewy4 at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 14:30:11 UTC 2015

My vet gave me a bottle of Nordic Mega 3 Pet, which is a liquid that has to be refrigerated.  It has been amazing for her skin and is supposed to be helping her bones, too.  Though shedding isn't a problem for a Poodle, they are prone to dry skin.  I like that it is not a capsule, as I was having to squeeze the oil out of the capsules for Miss Fussy.  Or hide the in a pill pocket.

The previous brand used by the vet is Omega Tri-V caps, which is available at Amazon.com.

I don't pay for vets, supplements, prescriptions, or even prescription food, as all that is covered for service dogs by my local animal hospital gratis.  So I don't know the cost.  I do know that animal formulas are different from human ones and may contain more D and other elements.

I do think good fish oils help canine health, but some people feed their dog a fish-based food, which is probably already high in Omega.

Since human supplements are generally not controlled by the U.S. government--and a recent story I heard revealed that some human vitamin/mineral supplements contained almost nothing of what was advertised on the label!--I wouldn't assume that a human product is better.  But the truth may be in the result, so I'd suggest buying a small quantity of a high-quality human or canine fish oil and see whether you notice an improvement.

Karla and silky Dottie