[nagdu] Important lesson learned. Dogs cannot be trusted.

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 2 18:06:13 UTC 2015

I could not agree more.

In general, I don't leave food up on the counter/stove, but my husband has and does, and more than once we've left a loaf of bread out, and never once had a problem with counter-surfing.  We have the cat food far back on a small table, more for the cat's security than because Jenny will eat the food (in fact, a cat knocked over a food bowl once, food went everywhere, and Jenny just stayed back and let us clean it up).

the only "dog-proofing" we have done to our house is to put a screen over the entrance to the basement.  The cat box is down here, and more than once, Jenny has done her business down there AND gotten into the cat box.  This also enables the cats to have their own "safe" space, which is less important now than it used to be... but we have a "boss cat" that's a bit of a grouch, so in particular giving her a space sans dog works best for the equilibrium in our house.

Daryl