[nagdu] Handicap parking permits was re: Proposed Act Regarding Service Dogs from the state of Maine.

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:05:21 UTC 2015

Donna and all,
I too know of many people who have the Handicap parking permits that do not actually need them. Its a major issue, in the sense that those who have real life disablities are now being accused of not having real life conditions that limit daily function, because so many people are abusing the system. I know that generally persons who are blind, do not need, want handicap parking permits. I would say, that is fine, if your only disability is only blindness. But when your talking about those of us who are blind with additional disabilities, its different. Only until recently have it has been clear in my mind that because of asthma, which has reached the level of disability, has this meaning come clear. I will not go into the details here, but disability is a wide range term that applies to persons with physical, mental, emotional, and conditions that limit daily life, whether visable or hidden. and unfortunately, no one is out there writing tickets to those people who are violating handicap parking permits. I don't know when, it became not only cool to have people pass their dogs off as service dogs, but for people to say that they have a disability when they truely do not.

Before I am jumped on here, I am not saying that anyone on this list is doing this, but as I already stated, I can name several on one hand that are in vilation of this law who live in my community. I know these people personal, and have asked why do this, and there ansser is because my doctor filled out the paperwork, and because I am lazy, and because it gets me a parking spot up front wherre I do not have to walk to and from the car in the heat or cold. There are also no ways to turn in these people.

So back to your original reason Donna for having one, that is your decision, it makes sense because of the pup.

Just my two cents, back to my moderator rock...LOL

Marsha drenth
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.