[nagdu] Guide Dog School

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Wed Mar 11 14:29:29 UTC 2015

Most schools who maintain ownership of the dog do not pay vet bills.
They maintain ownership of the dog so they can take the dog if they
believe the dog is too overweight or is being abused.  I don't think
they want to take the dogs away from us because that can reflect badly
on them, but they use this as there way to do it. After I had my
current dog for a year Leader Dogs asked for health records from my
vet.  I didn't provide them so they sent out a field rep to check out
my dog.  They thought I was hiding her weight problem from them but I
wasn't.  If this were my first dog I would have provided the
information but since I have been getting dogs from Leader for over 25
years I did not think I should have to do that.

NAGDU and guide dog schools have a very different view of things, as I
see it.  NAGDU supports and promotes the rights of dog guide teams and
guide dog schools want to provide a highly trained dog for a blind
person.  The schools also want to assure that the health and
well-being of the dog is maintained.  I think this means there are
areas where NAGDU and guide dog schools will agree and areas where
they disagree.

As long as people continue to go to schools that maintain ownership
there is no reason for the schools to change their policies.  If NAGDU
is really serious about this issue then we should become more
activist.  Otherwise, each of us will make our own decision about the
best school for us.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053