[nagdu] Allergic Reaction to Dogs

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 18 11:53:59 UTC 2015

Hey, Helga,

I believe that Janice and Elise have hit the nail on the head here.  Do not leave your dog tied up outside; people are idiots and will likely pet, feed, or otherwise distract him or her.  The blanket idea is a good one, and one we use at church (there is a family with a small child who IS allergic to dogs).  But I do question the number of kids and parents with allergies... that seems incredibly unlikely THAT many people are allergic.  In 18 months of working with Jenny, I have come across 3 people who are legitimately allergic - the small child from church, a coworker who is fine if he doesn't touch her, and a cab driver who accepted my ride anyway (who wheezed mildly most of the way).

The only time I leave Jenny unattended is when I am at goalball practice.  The gym I practice in for the provincial team is very boxy, and there is nowhere for me to put her where she doesn't get hit by the ball.  She will whine, nearly constantly, and putting her on tie-down and/or putting a bench in front to keep a ball from hitting her doesn't stop this.  On these occasions, I DO leave her in the locker room.  She has the company of another guide dog, a bone, a blanket, a water bowl, and cannot be accessed by anyone except teammates (otherwise I wouldn't do it).  When I practice locally, the locker room is too far from the gym and publicly accessible, so she does stay along the wide wall of the gym, where a ball won't come flying at her; she is always near people she knows (families of other players, my husband), and I can leave her on a blanket completely unattended there and know people who love her are watching out for her in the unlikely event she DOES get into mischief.

Hope this helps,

Daryl