[nagdu] loves working, but hates work!

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 14:53:48 UTC 2015

I think high value treats is a good idea.  You could also try turning back
the way you came.  I did this with Monty for a while.   He'd be going slow,
I'd turn, he'd pick up the pace, I'd praise like it was Christmas, go for a
bit more, then turn back the way I needed to go, praising for the
continuation of a good pace.  He would go a bit faster for a while, but then
he'd slow down again.  I'd turn and repeat the whole thing.   It worked
fairly well for him, but was maddening for me because it took ages to make
any actual progress in the desired direction.  I think if I had used it
earlier, when he first began slowing, it might have worked better.  Or it
could be a totally nutter approach?  I don't know.  I'm willing to try just
about anything.  Sometimes crazy things end up being just the thing!

I have the opposite thing with Jetta.  When we approach home, from any
direction, she pulls like mad for about the last two blocks.  I'm using the
figure eight approach, looping around, sometimes passing the house and
sometimes stopping, so she doesn't know which is which.  I used this ages
ago with Belle I think when she was slow going home.  It worked great with
her, so I'm hoping it will help Jetta.  From your description it doesn't
sound like this will work in your situation though.  Or could you work past
your office building sometimes, so she doesn't know when you are stopping
and when you are going  to continue walking?

Julie