[nagdu] choosing a particular breed and reasons why?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Mar 21 10:38:11 UTC 2015

I am currently working with a Doberman.   I chose the breed primarily for
the work ethic they have.  She can be funny and sometimes she does goofy
things, but mostly she is a serious dog.  She has an attentiveness to detail
I have not seen in any other breed.   She loves to work for the mental
challenge, I think. She wants to keep me safe, but more so she wants to do a
good job.   It is the work that is motivating to her, which is a very good
thing because I am not a very good cheerleader. She is incredibly
intelligent and is a latent learner.  This means that I can practice a new
skill with her a few times, she will look like she sort of gets it.  then
we'll go back to it the next day or in a couple of days and she will be spot
on.  She also learns from watching my other dogs more than any other dog
I've had.

I also appreciate her tall frame, short coat and super easy grooming needs.
she does require warm protective gear in the winter.

I am not a lab person.  I very much appreciate Jetta's more serious
demeanor.  I had her privately trained for me because there are only two
programs I know of who train Dobermans and neither was exactly what I
wanted.

I chose private training and owner training before that because I am picky.
I want what I want and I am willing to do what it takes to get it.  I also
very much love dog training and don't view the extra effort as work so much
because I find it very rewarding.

Julie