[nagdu] Reasons for choosing a particular guy dog school

Leye-Shprintse Öberg leyeshprintse at ymail.com
Sun Mar 22 10:02:08 UTC 2015

BS'D

In Sweden, we don't have a choice, whicch sucks, if you don't find a school which takes international students or pay for your guide dog yourself; we've any owner-trainers yet and none has going abroad yet.

Instead of talking about what I'm unhappy with, I'd talk about what I want in my next school, it'll not be Sweden, if I don't owner-train.

I want the dogs to be qualified as guide dogs when they're adults and not puppies.

I want the guide dogs to have around six months of guide training before they get qualified.

I want the school to have their own breeding program.

I want my future dog to have been trained more in the busy city; traffic training, escalators, metro, trains etc.

I want the school to be open for different training methodes; a leash correction has its place and time and the same goes for positive methodes. I want the instructors to see what's best for me and my dog.

I want to be able to meet and work the dog before we get matched.

I want the training class to be challenging; from the quiet countryside to the busy city.

I want the school to be warm and cosy; smaller classes and a feeling of trust between the instructors and handlers; we're in this game together.

That's somethings which I've thought about lately. My dog is five and a half year in April, so, I've started to think about the future. She's still young, but you never know what'll happen in the future.

Right now, Fondation Mira, school in Québec and France, is high up on my list.

Kind regards,
Leye-Shprintse and Hera <3