[nagdu] Free running (was: Pickup The Poop)

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:10:28 UTC 2015

Rox,
Europe and Canada both emphasize off-leash recall in their guide dog
training. The US schools definitely want you to keep your dog in a
fenced area, and even then they recommend keeping them on a long line.
I personally believe dogs should be dogs. The Golden Guy is just as
much a primal dog as he is an exceptional guide. My dog works hard,
and so my dog deserves to play hard. The people who raised him
definitely let him go off-leash and have fun by himself, and I do the
same. If my dog had a horrible recall, I would not let him run free,
but since he always comes back, there's no issue.
Also, nothing stops a dog from jumping fences. A dog jumped a
neighbor's fence and ended up in our next door neighbor's yard, The
Golden Guy then jumped our fence to go play with that dog. Even on a
fifty-foot long line, that could not have been prevented. after I
realized what had happened and I called him, my dog with his excellent
recall, successfully jumped back over the fence and returned to me. I
definitely need to enroll this boy in a sport. Lol!
But it's a good thing I worked with my dog on off-leash recall when I
received him.
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs