[nagdu] pet insurance

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:04:02 UTC 2015

I don't have pet insurance for my guide dog, and I don't plan to get it. Pet
insurance is a property and casualty product underwritten similar to a
warrantee on an appliance. They are often full of exclusions, and as the dog
ages, the premium increases exponentially.

Pet insurance does not operate like human health insurance. You don't just
go to the vet and only pay a co pay. Instead, you pay out of pocket, and
submit a claim for reimbursement. Often, they will only pay a portion of the
true cost based off some sort of pricing list for services they have.

What I would do is either have a credit card set aside exclusively for vet
bills, or work with a vet that has a credit program. If you don't want to go
this route, you could set aside $40 a month in an escrow account for vet
bills, or if SSI is an issue with asset caps, you could save money in cash
or a cash equivalent.

Regarding insurance, I believe it's essential for every dog guide user to
carry personal liability insurance of some kind. No one wants to think that
there dog could ever hurt someone but, people sometimes do stupid things,
and either antagonize your dog, or frighten it. If your dog bights someone
you are liable.

Liability coverage can be in the form of a renter's policy or a home owners
or condo owner's policy. All of these package policies include some form of
personal liability. Also whatever insurance you get, read the policy closely
to make certain it does not exclude dog bight liability nor have breed
restrictions against the type of dog you have.