[nagdu] Engaging distractors

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri May 15 13:15:35 UTC 2015

I usually don't try to engage with people who are distracting my dog.  I'm
so concentrated on controlling my wild young beast and getting him back on
track that I don't think of it, really.  I tend to treat human distractors
like yapping dogs or scampering squirrels, I guess.

Last night, we ate at our local diner, and, as I was working Krokus through
the tables, where he is very apt to be distracted by food, some guy we were
passing was saying "Hi buddy!", more than once.  I told Krokus softly but
sharply to hopp up, and moved him on past and out the door.  Then I wondered
if I should have tried to engage the guy and explain to him why distracting
my dog was a bad idea.

I wouldn't do it in New York City, probably, but my neighborhood here in
Jersey isn't so fast-paced.

What do other people do?

Tracy