[nagdu] Engaging distractors

Sonja O sohldag at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 17:12:10 UTC 2015

I trained chief to ignore distractions. Often times people get offended when he doesn't respond to them. Some have yelled at me, cause my dog doesn't want to look at them.
People can be really crazy....
For the average encounter, I usually either ask to not touch my dog, cause he needs to focus on keeping me alive, which is usually the most successful response.
I don't care about drive by cuddles, because chief ignores them.
I do care about children a lot. If they want to come pet and I have time, I engage them and teach them how to pet and when not to pet. Children respond very well to education, age appropriate, of course.
My greatest annoyance are adults, who really don't care about boundaries.
I have removed myself, I have stopped someone from petting by taking their hands off my dog and telling them to back off. I have called security or asked bystanders to make people go away.
Engaging others, when you feel your boundaries are being overstepped is usually a really good technique.
I'm usually kind but clear about what I need or want in regards to chief.
Normally I give out me flyers about service animals and explain that trying to distract my dog can kill me.
Good luck and I hope my thought process helped you a bit, sonja and chief

Sent from my iPhone