[nagdu] The craft show!

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 22 00:48:22 UTC 2015

Hi, everyone!
Sorry for any cross-posting.
A few weeks ago I wrote and asked opinions about whether to bring Jenny to my first ever craft show. I wasn't sure if I would bring her, even as recently as this morning. I woke up with a cold, and Jenny's been really REALLY beetle-headed lately. I wasn't sure I wanted to worry about her, especially since my husband would be at home, and a rest day might not have been a bad idea.
But I decided to bring her, just to see what it would be like. Glad I did!
It started out a little rough. We got to the hall, and it was right beside a field, which brings Jenny's excitement to the forefront. But she guided me inside the hall... where they were making popcorn. This is one food distraction that I've never completely gotten her to abandon. She kept on trying to take me to the popcorn maker, but we got to my table, where she curled up on her blanket and fell asleep.
Overall, she did really well. We were right by an exit door, though, so she (and I) got REALLY cold! People ignored her for the most part, and I even helped a parent educate her daughter about guide dogs and what they do. Someone sat right near us with a bag of popcorn, and apart from looking at it, she didn't do anything embarrassing.
The only real hiccup of the day was about 2/3 through the show, when my mother-in-law came by. She's one of Jenny's favorite people on the planet... and Jenny let out a half-hearted "Hi!" bark... like she KNEW she wasn't supposed to; unfortunately, she got insanely wiggly and happy, but at least she was quiet. I think I was the only one to hear the bark, though, and she didn't do it again. My mother-in-law took Jenny out to relieve and get her wiggles out, and Jenny curled up in her blanket the rest of the show. When my husband came to pick us up, she got wiggly again, but she at least listened and stayed on her bed while I packed up everything.
She got rewarded after the show by a trip to the park. Now, she's curled up, fast asleep. I'm so glad she came with me! And the show itself went really well!
Thanks, everyone!

Daryl