[nagdu] barking?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 7 19:33:05 UTC 2015

I have zero problems with barking when the dog is off harness, particularly if something or someone startles them.  Jenny barks when someone knocks at the door... this has come in handy more than once because she will keep barking until someone answers the door; occasionally my husband and I will be in different areas of the house and not hear someone knocking, so her alert behavior helps us out.  If the barking is not constant, let the dog bark at home!

In harness, it's a bit trickier, but a dog is a dog is a dog. I wrote about this before, but about six or eight months ago, I was at a mall food court meeting a friend. He went to go pick up drinks, and someone who was definitely drunk and possibly under the influence of drugs approached my table. Jenny stood up and tried to back away from him, but there was a wall behind her, so she had nowhere else to go. He kept coming, and reached out and touched her. She did not bark until the instant his hand touched her... he was told both by me and the couple at the table behind me to not interact with my dog. During this whole exchange, as soon as he took his hand away and talked to me or the other people, the barking stopped. But then he started to b ack away and started talking to Jenny. She started barking again.

Situations like this don't bother me, largely because it's a way of communicating something isn't right. She was not overly loud, she did not bare her teeth, she did not growl, attack, or do anything else threatening toward this guy.  While I have experienced more of Jenny's in-harness barking than most people would tolerate, I believe this is due to a health concern that is being addressed. All things being equal, though, in harness she will not bark at anyone who is not threatening to her.

Daryl