[nagdu] Washington DC metro area puppies (add Rockville ADA)

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Sep 11 04:24:30 UTC 2015

Tom,

Owner-training is an option, and you can customize the training to your
needs and disability.

There are a number of things to consider:

1. It's important to start with a dog with the right temperament who can
handle the stress and remain calm and deal with public interactions and
all that.

2. The training process requires you to be able to navigate
independently in the places you will most need the dog to help you while
keeping you and your pup safe while also teaching the dog.

3. In addition to task training, you need to train the dog how to behave
in public, which is also quite time-consuming.

4. You will need to do a lot of extra self-advocating, which can
sometimes be a real pain.

There are several owner-trainers on this list, including me. I'm on my
second owner-trained poodle guide, who at 16-1/2 months is still in
process. He just got his first guide dog harness and is doing wonderfully.

Tami