[NAGDU] Just Curious; is there a comprehensive list available out there somewhere?

Lisie Foster lisiefoster at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 00:48:57 UTC 2016

Becky, your email reminded me! I know of another Cocker Spaniel or Cocker-mix, not more than 13" tall, who was trained by an assistance dog program in Florida as a guide dog. She was trained and placed with an elderly, sighted individual with Alzheimer's Disease.

I learned about this dog secondhand. The dog was trained as to help the handler with orientation and to make sure the handler remained on sidewalks, or stayed in areas that the dog was trained were acceptable areas. The dog guided the individual using only a regular leash like those used for most pet dogs. This dog was also trained as a search dog, for a time when the handler's disease progressed to a point when that training could be utilized by the handler's caregivers.

I've read about other dogs similarly trained as guide dogs for sighted individuals with severe dementia, and quite a few have been small. I've never understood exactly how that works. The dogs are too short to wear a harness or to leash guide, in any formal sense, and most of the handlers' conditions are somewhat advanced.

I've read that the dogs are referred to as guide dogs, or as combination guide/search dogs. Programs seem to still be training them, which makes me think the dogs are able to do this successfully. Dementia and Alzheimer's are horrible, to say the least, and if dogs can be trained to assist in any way, I think it's wonderful. I just can't understand how such small dogs can function as guide dogs for individuals who are around average-height.

Lisie and Finn
lisiefoster at yahoo.com
Sent from my iPhone