[NAGDU] {Spam?} Re: something that happened to me today

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Mar 30 16:57:28 UTC 2016

I also find the "just doing her job, ma'am," approach works best, when I
remember to do that first. Or, with the trainee, "he needs to learn."
What really makes me grit my teeth is the guy who holds the door open
with his arm across the opening at head height, often while partially
blocking the opening with his body... Then calls my dog impatiently or
huffs at me or both. Okay, so a lot of the time, that guy is my husband.
Maybe that's why it seems to be a guy thing, especially fairly tall
guys... They're probably used to us l'il ol' gals being able to duck
under their arms as we squeeze through or something, so it works just
fine. Then I come along with my cane and bump my head on their arm or
try to go through the wall because I assume they wouldn't be standing
*in* the doorway while I'm trying to walk through... Then I come along
with my dog, and my dog treats them like an obstacle. Hubby usually
remembers now, but sometimes I have to remind him. Sigh.

Help with escalators was the real nightmare with Mitzi. I nearly ended
up falling on my head when I got on just as a helper grabbed her harness
handle, which freaked her out. It was her second time on the escalator,
so she was still a bit hesitant to begin with, and the grab was just too
much. So I had to let go of the leash, just as he let go, so there I was
going up while they ran around below. I was terrified she would go on
the escalator and get her leash caught, but somehow he caught her and
got her up to me and was so apologetic I couldn't go for his throat as I
wanted to. We had some successful escalator rides, so I thought we were
good, but then we were about to get on an escalator when a crowd walked
up, and Mitzi balked. This time, I managed to run down the up escalator
to reconnect with my dog who was trying to get to me while avoiding
being grabbed. What a circus. Sigh. I must have developed the art of
looking forbidding around escalators, because we never had a repeat. Whew!

I've also had people show me the push button for disabled people to open
the door, and I think at least one has rushed to push it for me. At
least it didn't catch my toes. The logic seems to be that since the
button is for disabled people who can't open the door manually, all
disabled people must not be able to open a door by themselves.
Attempting to point out that blindness doesn't stop me opening doors and
that it's easier to find the door handle than the button doesn't seem to
get through that logic. More sighs.

I think once the dog has learned the skill of showing the button, then
having someone push it doesn't mess things up too badly. To get the dog
solid, though, you either need to find deserted elevators or have the
dog show you even after a human has done so. If you hear a human coming
in time, you can also just amaze them by glibly announcing that you're
teaching the dog to show you the button or that the dog is showing you
the button. That's fascinating! /lol/

Good luck. She'll get it one way or the other.

Tami