[NAGDU] Treating What Could be Separation Anxiety

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Oct 4 18:10:43 UTC 2016

Joe,

The method I used for crate training Loki is from the Training Levels by
Sue Ailsby. Her website is www.sue-eh.ca. I'll give a brief description
of the method. It worked wonders with Loki, who freaked out in the crate
at first. He was totally calm about absolutely everything else, but I
thought he would tear the crate apart the first time I put him in.
Yikes! So I worked through Sue's method very slowly, and now he is a
crate-loving critter. He was a puppy, so it might go differently with an
adult dog. It involves treats and lures, too, but could perhaps be
adapted if the handler does not want to use food in the training.

To start, lure the dog into the crate and reward the dog for going into
the crate. That's it. Do this a few times until the dog will go into the
crate on command. Once the dog is comfortable going into the crate, wait
a bit beside the crate with the door open. Reward the dog for staying in
the crate. Repeat as necessary. Next step is to close the door without
locking it, staying by the crate. If the dog complains, ignore the dog.
The instant the dog quiets, open the door and reward the dog. Repeat
until the dog is quiet. Lengthen the time you wait to open the door
until the dog can be quiet with you there consistently. Then lock the
door and begin the process of moving away until you can go into the next
room without the dog throwing a fit.

I also fed Loki in his crate, using the same process of leaving the door
open, then closing it without locking it, then locking it and moving
away, etc., etc. Since I was feeding him 4 times a day at that point, he
got lots of practice. He still did a lot of yowling for quite awhile,
being a very vocal puppy.

The key to convincing the dog to be quiet in the crate is to never open
the crate while the dog is carrying on. When you're away from the crate,
don't even start towards it when the dog is fussing. The instant the dog
is quiet, turn towards the crate and approach until the dog vocalizes,
then stop and stare off at something else or turn away until the dog is
quiet.

I assume the dog you're talking about is generally crate-trained, so the
process may go faster than with a puppy. The main thing is to teach the
dog that the crate does not equal total abandonment and also that
throwing fits in the crate will not get the dog what it wants. Being
quiet in the crate *will* get the dog what it wants, which is release
from the crate and reunion with the handler. Gradually extending the
time the dog is in the crate without the handler in view can help a dog
with abandonment issues learn to be quiet and wait patiently. At least
it worked that way with Loki. We were able to get away with the "stuff
the puppy in the crate" method with Zay, my husband's dog. Good thing,
because we ended up having a lot going on with family stuff when she was
young. But that method was a nonstarter with Mr. Freak Out, so I was
glad some friends had put me onto the Training Levels with that miracle
method for him. Whew!

hth,

Tami