[NAGDU] {Spam?} Charcoal

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Fri Sep 30 23:12:58 UTC 2016

“Activated” charcoal is the name of it.  Yes, it is in drug stores in capsules.  It’s just charcoal, but processed charcoal, not just ordinary charcoal.  Activated charcoal has an extrordinarily large microscopic absorbing surface area.  I’ve forgotten the number, but the metaphor is it’s like a couple of capsules have the the absorbing surface area of like, half of your living room…    I’m sort of joking by saying living room, but not really, it’s an enormous amount of absorbing surface area that you wouldn’t think a little capsule was capable of carrying.  Toxins are caught in the microscopic nooks and crannies in the charcoal, and it doesn’t give it up.  The charcoal travels the matter out through the intestinal tract and is excreted as black or very dark poop.  It can be somewhat constipating, but so what, it eventually gets stuff out.  More water.  If I can’t get my dog to drink enough, on hot days, or God forbid an emergency, there’s always adding a little meat broth or a pinch of freeze dried food in water.  Then she’ll drink with gusto.

Cheers,
Peter