[NAGDU] Traveling in Pairs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jan 26 17:31:54 UTC 2017

Joe,

In my limited experience walking with another guide dog user in a busy
place, we ended up letting the dogs keep track. We generally discuss
where we plan to go ahead of time and plan a route if we know where that
is. If we're looking for a store in a mall, we discuss finding
strategies ahead of time. The friend I've walked that way with most is
deafblind, though she does have some hearing with a CI. In a crowded
mall, she can't really hear me, so we would stop at intersections to
confer if one of us didn't know the way. The dogs seemed naturally to
adapt their paces, more on Mitzi's part. My friend has some additional
mobility issues, so we had to slow way down, which Mitzi didn't like to
do for people but would do for that team. It was pretty funny, really.
When we first started going about, the dogs would watch each other and
compare notes, or maybe critique each other's work. Things were more
complicated if we walked on sidewalks, where my friend needed to stop
and take things really slowly that didn't slow me and Mitzi down at all.
At first, she would have to call to me to stop, then Mitzi got the
picture and would stop to wait for them. I was impressed that the other
dog didn't get distracted from the extra care she needed to exercise. At
times, my friend would find a bench to rest, and I would take Mitzi for
a good spin about at our usual fast clip, then ask Mitzi to find my
friend or her dog by name to get back to them.

I work my dog on the right, which makes it convenient to walk with most
other guide dog users, who have their dog on the left. The people can
walk side by side and talk more easily, assuming the dogs can match
their paces. Planning ahead definitely helps. If there are things you do
differently for whatever reason, discussing how to manage in places
where that comes up also helps things go more smoothly. It is *very*
convenient if one or both dogs are good at finding specific people in
case you do get separated in crowds. Otherwise,you just have to stop and
call each other and hope one of you at least can navigate by sound
location in a sound-distorting environment. While trying to convince
yourself you don't look silly. /lol/

hth

Tami