[NAGDU] Belto's Problems mostly resolved.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Jul 14 15:19:50 UTC 2017

Jordan,

I'm glad you were able to get things sorted there. Yay! The On the Go
harness is nice, isn't it? I was so happy Julie started making those
again. I now have a leather harness for more formal occasions, and we
used that for several months to get it broken in. But it was so nice
when the weather heated up to just bring out the cool, light sports
harness. It will be our everyday harness from now on.

Just out of curiosity... Did they tell you not to praise Belto the way
you did in class, or were you not praising him and need to do more?

I know some dogs find a lot of chatter from their handler distracting,
so constant praise isn't helpful. Mine are on the opposite end of the
scale, which is a good thing because I am an incorrigible dog talker.
/lol/ Most of my training method involves gushing with praise over every
little thing my dog does, which means I'm conditioning myself to gush
with praise over everything my dog does. Eventually, I get a grip on
myself, usually long after the dog has stopped needing any of it. I also
get addicted to the clicker, but I'm using it more for me than for the
dog. My dogs must go around rolling their eyes a lot at what a goofy
handler they have to deal with. /lol/ Weirdly, my misuse of both praise
and clicker doesn't seem to affect their guide work. I do do things
properly during training, so I guess by the time I get sloppy, they just
know what to do and do it. Yet if I want to do some clicker training for
a new activity, they respond to that, too. So I guess they've figured
things out better than I have.

Anyway, that's why I was curious about the role of praise in your dog's
work, if you don't mind explaining a bit.

Tami