[NAGDU] Schools that use treats

Nancy VanderBrink vandyvanderbrink at outlook.com
Wed Jun 21 00:46:03 UTC 2017

Hey folks,
I'm in the process of applying for guide dogs and a couple of different schools and I have been really struggling with the question of giving dogs treats constantly to reinforce skills. When I got my first guide dog and even with Doc, praise was the reward.  Granted both of my boys liked to eat - both have been labs.
Some schools use treats A lot and I was wondering if that caused problems with scavenging for food?

Since most of the dogs that schools are using are either labradors or some mix there of,  I wondered if this caused issues.
 If anybody could give me some insight I would appreciate it. Like I said, the school I have been going to does not use treats at all when we work with the dogs. So if folks could chime in where their schools do encourage this I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Nancy