[NAGDU] if you had a magic wand

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jun 24 16:01:32 UTC 2017

Julie,

That's easy. My magic wand would make all members of the public behave
perfectly in the presence of my guide dog. Now, where did I put the
thing that I can't find it? /lol/

With Mr. Friendly, I would still have the task of convincing him that
saying Howdy to all the good friends he hasn't seen for awhile (which is
everyone!) is not absolutely necessary. But it sure would be a lot
easier. I've noticed that when I'm around people who deliberately ignore
him because they know he's a working dog, he is very good and
professional. He's come a long way in being good and professional around
everyone else and is still improving, but still! It's a pain. I really
noticed during training that the hardest part is teaching the dog to
leave people alone when people are giving him all that attention. Aargh!

If I had a second spell, I would aim it at his curious nose. Actually,
his nose behaves pretty well by now, too, but I still need to keep track
of it somewhat to keep him on the straight and narrow in a new place.
Since it's way out there on his long giraffe neck, I can make myself
crazy wondering what it's doing. /lol/ At present, we just don't have a
lot of indoor work to do, so the process of getting him to where I want
him to be with the nose is prolonged.

Tami