[NAGDU] Question For Musicians

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 10 00:28:52 UTC 2017

Hello:

In my 42 years of working with guide dogs, I have taken my dog on stage many
times.  It does depend on the situation.  If you are a soloist or in a
chorus the dog can guide you on stage and lay down at your feet.  If the
show requires you to move around such as in a musical or opera I have had my
dogs on stage at a down stay as part of the stage set.  They have always
stayed quietly and did not move during the performances because I had given
them lots of reminders both verbal and hand signals during rehearsals.
Sometimes you can even sneak in a subtle hand signal in their direction
during the performances as part of your movements on stage.  I have always
enjoyed the pleasure of having my dogs with me on stage.  If you choose to
leave her, putting her in her crate or leaving her with someone are both
good suggestions.  Some dogs do not do well being left back stage where they
cannot see you.  In that case have someone hold her and sit in the front row
so she can see you.  If you do it this way be sure she is not the type of
dog that will whine, bark or get too excited when she sees you.  It also
helps if you are going to leave her with someone that you spend a a little
time with her and that person so she knows it is alright for her to be with
them and to listen to them when they tell her something.  It helps if you
explain to that person what commands your dog has been taught so they can
get her down and under the seat and to walk at a nice controlled heel
position as they take her to their seat or place off stage where they are
going to watch her.  Good luck with your performances and enjoy yourself.
Being on stage is always lots of fun.

Sandra Johnson and her stage struck dogs