[NAGDU] OFF NAGDU List ownership

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Sat May 20 01:21:38 UTC 2017

Hi Marion,

I'm writing off list.

In a perfect world all guide dog schools would give instant ownership.
Because I'm not impressed with the schools that do, and those I am
interested in do not, I am willing to make compromises. Also, I have
heard from someone who had their TSE guide removed and TSE gives full
ownership so it would appear even with full ownership there could be issues.

I respect and agree with you about ownership, but practical application
wins out for me. The benefits will have to outweigh the risks as it were.

I do respect your opinion so am sharing my comments and questions with you.

Southeastern has in addition to the 11-yr retirement rule, a provision
where they can reclaim the dog before 5 years if the team isn't working.
  I realize there is an expense to train a dog, but it is one more
trauma for a handler who may have a situation where they can no longer
work - if they had full ownership, this would not happen. I think they
also have some other stipulations regarding ownership. My friend who has
a guide from Southeastern said they have had incidents where they felt
it necessary to make these provisions.

I am curious if you could tell me if you have ever run across a recent
situation where a handler from Guiding Eyes for the Blind had their dog
removed?   If so, can you give me a summary of what happened? I can ask
GEB, but I am interested in an outside source such as yourself.

I have not made a final decision, and appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
Brenda