[NAGDU] weird guide dog habit

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Nov 30 15:21:24 UTC 2017

Hi Jessica.
I've noticed fall is an extra-sniffy time for my dogs.  Maybe the cool
breezes bring out smells, or the dogs are pepped up by the cool weather--I
don't know.

I had a trainer out a while back, working on pokiness.  I was telling
Krokuss to hopp up very often.  The trainer said just to give him a little
correction instead.  Maybe give one hopp up as we're going along, and then
no more nice guy.  He knows what's expected, and takes advantage if I get
too relaxed.
So, if your dog sniffs a sign, give him a little correction.  Maybe don't
even say hopp up.  Show him you're not putting up with his fooling around. I
bet, since you say he's very responsive, 1 or 2 corrections will get him
back on the straight and narrow.
Tracy