[NAGDU] choosing a school

Jean Menzies jemenzies at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 31 18:09:00 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Without going into the details now, I am looking at dog retirement, and getting applications started for dog  number 7. Even if I end up delaying exceptance, the paperwork will be good for two years, and there are reasons to get going on it now.

My current dog is from Leader. He is wonderful, and I really like the skill sets that LD puts on their dogs. But in deciding if I stay or change schools, I want some information on the Seing Eye as well.

For anyone who has been to either school recently, or for those who have been to both, I would like your thoughts on the following points:

Food rewards used or not used

If food rewards are used, are they phased out or maintained

Skill sets –

Is Find the ... taught? If so, what objects or items are the dogs taught to find initially? E.g., empty chairs/benches, stairs up/down, pushbutton poles, doors, inside/outside, etc.?

Traffic work – exposure to quiet cars

Application process: Number of references, home video

I'm interested in comparing the skill sets and working styles of the dogs, so please, no info on meals, rooms, etc. That's not important to me. Any info anyone can provide on current training from the two programs would be appreciated.

Jean