[NAGDU] Retiring your dog: how you know when it’s the right time

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 20:47:11 UTC 2018

The first dog I retired began developing fears of noises, and she wouldn't work through them very well. Also, when I took her out she would be excited to work for a few minutes; then she would go off in the grass and start sniffing and acting distracted. I had to ask the school to help me make that decision.
Spencer, I knew for a long time he needed to retire. He was over weight with a thyroid issue which we were working on, but he got winded easily. He stopped working in the Minneapolis airport.
Fisher I retired on a whim when he was about nine. I have major regrets about it. He was not ready to retire and still isn't. I took him for a walk today but not in harness. He did his share of sniffing, but it was nice to have him gide me straight across streets every time.
Cindy Lou Ray
cindyray at gmail.com