[NAGDU] Re Guide dogs around the world, current developments

Monse monse_v at aol.com.mx
Mon Apr 23 01:50:05 UTC 2018

Hi all. My dog and I are from Mexico. During the last part of the training I
got help from a trainer who works at a foundation so that I could have some
kind of extra support for legal issues. He helped being the watchman in
advance training, such as traffic and busy routes.
I do let my dog run off leash when I take him to  dog parks or to places
that are comparable to a forest over here, but only  under supervision of a
sighted person. I also let him socialize as much as possible with my 2 pet
dogs at home, at the dog care facility that the trainer who helped me owns,
or with the dogs from the foundation without any supervition, as those are
safe places.
I do believe that the more interaction the dog has with other dogs, the
better will be his self-control in harness, since he won't have this desire
to be around dogs because that's something he does frequently.
I also walk him on lose leash so that he can sniff and explore the place,
obviously using my cane in unknown areas.
I do this because is my way of telling him that before being a guide, he's a
dog and I don't want him to forget that. also I see it as a way to mark the
difference between work and play time. when he's in harness he has a great
self-control and loses it until I take the harness off and do the freedom
signal.
I don't have school rules to follow.  I've had the dog since he was a pup
and the ownership is mine, so I can do what I want with my dog. I use or
stop using the material that Works for both according to the situation , and
taught and teach him what I find necessary according to my needs. huge
advantage.
I work on off leash recall using a whistle and treats, and as for the dog
attacks, he's used to be around dogs, so he knows when to keep distance.
He's never been attacked at dog parks and seem to enjoy being there.
Finally I must say that I agree with Bianka and lisa.
Regards,

---