[NAGDU] shepherds as guides

Kerri Sprecher spedangel84 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 23:56:24 UTC 2018

Hi list,
I have been curious about this for quite some time, but just hadn't gotten around to asking. I have had a yellow lab, a golden retriever, and a poodle, but have not had a lab-golden cross, or a shepherd. I'm sure the crosses are a combination of the traits of the lab and golden, which I am well-accustomed to, but I have always wondered what shepherds were like as guides, and their characteristics and traits in general. I just had my Seeing Eye instructor visit a couple weeks ago, and we got to talking about breeds, and she said that the shepherds that the Seeing Eye used to train were pickier eaters than more recent shepherds; I asked if they were still more standoffish or aloof to others except their handler, which I love about them, and she said they were friendly but yes, most are a little cool toward others unless they really get to know them. This is why I'm really hoping for a shepherd this time, although I'll be happy with any dog that works well and loves their job as a guide. So, I'd be very interested to hear from you shepherd handlers or those of you who have had them in the past or know someone well who has one; what I love about them most is their work ethic, loyalty, seriousness about their work, and their natural tendency towards being a one-person dog.
I'll be waiting for some ineresting and informative responses.
Talk soon,
Kerri

Sent from my iPhone