[NAGDU] Dog Brushes

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Aug 1 20:53:07 UTC 2018

Julie,

I use a slicker brush on my husband's dog, Zay, when I can't find the
Furminator. It sure does get out a lot of hair, but more hair ends up in
the air than with the Furminator. I brush her outdoors most of the time,
so that's no big deal. She doesn't thrill to being brushed, and I can't
really tell if she is more or less comfortable with the slicker brush
than with the Furminator. She doesn't require regular thorough brushing,
so it could just be she moves around a lot because I haven't trained her
to hold still. She is terribly jealous of all the brush attention the
poodles get, though. /lol/

Anyway, the slicker brush I have is from JW Pet, which I ordered from
Chewy.com for a lot cheaper than I had previously paid for less
comfortable brushes. I also have a pin brush and comb from their
comfort-grip line, and the grip is actually comfortable. Yay!

Oh, and with the Furminator, I have found that the way I hold the
Furminator has a lot to do with Zay's apparent comfort with it. If I'm
paying attention and hold it at a good angle and make sure not to press
too much, she appreas to tolerate or even enjoy it. If I just grab brush
and dog and set to with my mind on other things, she gets more wiggly,
even though I'm sure I'm not pressing or anything. Or could be she's
wiggly because I'm not paying attention? Hm... Anyway, don't know if
that is relevant to you and your dog, but I thought I would mention it.

hth,

Tami