[NAGDU] Refused at medical office

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 21 01:23:28 UTC 2018

Dear All,

	The information I will share should be considered informal guidance only; it should not be considered legal advice. Private entities that provide public accommodations are required to allow an individual with a disability the right to be accompanied by a service dog unless doing so would pose a "direct threat". A direct threat means a significant risk to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by a reasonable modification of policies, practices, and procedures. If an entity asserts the presence of a service animal poses a direct threat, they must demonstrate that the animal poses such a threat; it is not up to the individual accompanied by a service dog to demonstrate it does not. This is what is known as an affirmative defense. In other words, they must prove a "Yes".

	The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) asserts that the presence of a service dog poses no more risk to the health or safety of others than does a human. Though it is true that a dog in a sterile environment would be considered a direct threat, an examination room is not a sterile environment. One method of determining if a sterile environment exists is whether or not those entering the room must scrub and don masks, gowns, and gloves prior to entering. If those in the room are wearing their street clothes, it is absolutely not a sterile environment and a service dog should be admitted. The only exception to this rule would be if there were equipment essential for life support, such as in an intensive care unit. I have attached a document from the CDC entitled, "Environmental infection control in health care facilities" you may wish to share with the physicians office. If this document is stripped by the servor, you can write to me directly and I will send it to you. I would also be willing to contact the medical facility and discuss this issue with them. If they are unwilling to modify their policies, practices, and procedures to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, I would strongly suggest filing a complaint with the United States Department of Justice, your local law enforcement office (it may be a criminal violation of your state statutes), your state's advocacy and protection office, and the state entity licensing the physician and the practice  to set this facility straight.

	If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write back or give me a call. My contact information is below my signature.

Fraternally yours,
Marion
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
Visit our website
Follow us on Twitter
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.