[NAGDU] Delta Should Leave Blind Travelers Alone

David david at bakerinet.com
Thu Feb 1 21:13:39 UTC 2018

I just posted the response below to the Huffington Post article from
Kuusisto on their conversation page about the article.

*David in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com*
On 2/1/2018 11:19 AM, Jenine Stanley via NAGDU wrote:
> Nothing like Divide and conquer. I was mortified by this article, and Steve and I usually agree on things of this sort.

Kuusisto is absoutely and unequivocally wrong in saying that, "All guide
dog users already carry ID cards issued by schools certifying the team
pictured is legitimate, ... " Some schools do, indeed, provide ID cards,
but their is no certification involved. Many guide dog users self train.
There is no certifiying agency. The ADA, in fact, does not allow the
disabled to be required to provide identification and there is no
provision in the ACAA which regulates air travel access by the disabled
requiring certification or ID cards. The problem with people faking
disability in order to take untrained pets aboard aircraft is owned by
the airlines. If an animal is misbehaving, being aggressive, lunging,
barking, or relieving itself before boarding airlines should refuse to
allow the animal to board. If these behaviors present themselves after
boarding the airplane, the airlines must remove the animal, if possible,
and subject the passenger who improperly asserted a disability to
additional fees. Requiring vaccination certificates will not solve the
problems that passengers and those of us with service animals are facing
from those who bring untrained pets into public places and public
transportation. The only reasonable solution is for businesses to own up
to the problem and refuse service to handlers of misbehaving animals. To
say they are afraid of being sued is a poor excuse. Do they have
problems ejecting someone who pees on the floor, or attacks other
customer or staff? Of course not.