[NAGDU] Day Care for Guide Dogs at Beep Baseball World Series?

Brenda Horwitz bkhicklin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:35:17 UTC 2018

Hi Heather,
	I can answer your questions only from what I have experienced. I will put my answers with your questions.

On Feb 14, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Heather Bird via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:

I am a member of our local Beep Baseball team, the Rochester Pioneers. I will be participating in the Beep Baseball World Series this year. I am the only guide dog user on the team and a team mate let me know through our email list specific to our team that there is doggy daycare at the World Series for guide dogs. My gut reaction was “Hell no, never happening, salt the earth, no way.” But then I took a step back and reminded myself to remain open-minded, to do my research and then to make an informed decision. Do any of you work guide dogs and attend the World Series? Do they make a point of trying to get every handler to comply with utilizing the daycare?

At the World Series you will find that all or most of the dog handlers take their dogs to doggy daycare. It is up to you if you use it or not.

If you don’t want to use it where have you crated or leashed your dogs while participating?
If you decide not to take advantage of daycare, you would keep your dog at the team bench where they could get stepped on.

Who provides the care, what are their qualifications?
GDB brings in trainers to volunteer their time for the week for the World Series.

Are all dogs housed separately to avoid any fights from unknown dogs interacting?
Yes, GDB has been doing this for many years. They know to keep dogs apart so they have no fighting.

Do the handlers have to provide vet records to have their dogs be accepted?
No not of last year. You will get an email asking you about your dog and what he or she likes or dislikes.

Does it cost anything?
No

Any information that you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
For me, I would rather have my dog in a place where they are taken for walks, given water, kept in the shade, taken care of in the event of a storm, somewhere where I'm not worried that someone isn't going to step on them with their cleats.
Also, If my dog is taken care of I can concentrate on the games and not be stressing over my dog.
On our team The Austin Blackhawks we have 6 players with Dogs and we take advantage of the Doggy daycare.

Brenda

Heather,