[NAGDU] Question about walking the [other] dog

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Feb 17 18:15:41 UTC 2018

I do sometimes walk one dog and have the other guide, but to do this the
leashed dog has to be reasonably good on leash.  Also both dogs need to have
a compatible pace.

I teach all my dogs, pet or guide, to stay on the sidewalk and to stop for
curbs.  The staying on the sidewalk part is really about teaching the dog
not to give in to distractions.  The easiest way to teach stopping at curbs
is probably to give a treat every time you approach.  For most dogs they
won't proceed until they've had their snack.  This can create some
difficulties for a guide, so I'd implement some more advanced strategies,
but for a pet that you'd like to not drag you into the street, treats at the
curb is a solid start.

To teach loose leash walking, I like to use the lost/crazy person method.
If you can, pick a day when your neighbors aren't home!  I like to set up
some sort of auditory cue, like windchimes, a portable radio, even a busy
street in the distance can work.  You need a fairly open space, like a
parking lot, or some connecting sidewalks/driveways.  You'll be turning a
lot and need the ability to make a lot of turns in a fairly small space.
Use a short leash, 2 or 3 feet.  Then with dog on leash start out.  You'll
probably make it about two steps before the dog starts pulling, turn and go
a different direction.  In the beginning it's easiest to turn right or do an
about face.  If you turn left, you're likely to trip on the dog.  If you
have a dog who likes you, even a little, he's going to want to go where you
are going so he'll make the turn and in two more steps start pulling again.
Quickly turn a new direction.   Keep turning every time the leash goes taut.
You will probably get dizzy and disoriented, which is why you need the space
and the sound cue to reorient. In my experience 15 minutes of this a day
over a week or two will have most dogs walking decently on leash.  When you
graduate to going places on walks, keep up the practice of a quick about
face every now and then to keep the dog paying attention to you.

Another approach is the tree method.  This one requires less physical
energy, but way more patience, which is likely why I use the above method!
When the dog begins pulling, you simply assume the practice of being a tree.
No corrections, no moving, just holding onto the leash and waiting for the
dog to realize nothing fun is happening.   When the leash is loose, you
resume forward movement.  This will take more time, but is physically much
easier to do.

If you are concerned with the dog bolting and getting away from you, I'd
suggest a hands free leash or something similar.  A word of caution, if you
are wearing a hands free leash and the dog does bolt, you have to physically
be able to stand your ground, or you are going to be pulled right off your
feet.

HTH
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>