[NAGDU] O and m immersion programs

David david at bakerinet.com
Thu Aug 22 14:44:21 UTC 2019

Hi Amanda,

Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, Michigan has a very good 5 day
program called Advanced Mobility Program (AMP). I had used a white cane
for 20 years before I applied. While I was a good cane user (I used a
university mobility training manual), I'm really glad I signed up. Lots
new to learn. I requested to use vision occluders during part of the
training and was amazed at the additional clue and cues you can get from
your other senses. Revisiting things I thought I knew and correcting bad
habits has been invaluable.

When you're accepted, they and you pick a date. Your transportation
there is free, room and board (with good food) is free, the facility is
clean, and the instructors are good.

While I was accepted there for a guide dog the next year, their guide
dog program was twenty-six days. I would have gone batty with all the
down time (one instructor to 4 or 5 students). So, I went to the Guide
Dog Foundation in Smithtown, New York for their two week program, and, I
have to say, an absolutely brilliant, joyful, and perfect Lab/Golden cross.

It is a nice area of Michigan. I used to lead AYH bicycle trips up in
this area from Detroit in my early twenties 29 years ago. There was a
cider mill very close by, so if you are up there this Fall it is a great
place for a side trip.

*David & Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com*
*