[NAGDU] Horrible Left Tendency

Nimer Jaber nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 15:57:19 UTC 2019

Julie,

I have had three dogs, and have had the issue you are describing with two
out of three. For me, it helps to keep in mind my alignment. If I am at all
pointed right, the left tendency increases. For a bit, I have to go back to
basics, try to align myself properly, keep in mind the way I am pulling
back on the harness, etc. This can improve things a bit. I've kept the
leash in my right hand, and give small tugs to the right when my dog is
moving left. This especially helps if you use the gentle leader, or
something that gives you more head control. With the gentle leader, the
tugs should be much less forceful than without it. When yourr dog does move
right, praise lots, and if your dog is motivated by treats, use those too.
Not sure if you guys play clicker games, but that might be an incentive.
Charge the clicker before you go out, then when you do, the dog pulls hard
left, you are able to redirect the pup and move right, praise like crazy,
even if it is just a little right. I've also tried redirection. When dog
pulls hard left, I ask dog to sit, and we work on a bit of obedience for a
few seconds. Once dog has been refocused and I am refocused and hopefully
paying attention to my posture and alignment, hopefully left tendency gets
better.

Finally, tI do not know how severe your left tendency is, and you have to
mind your safety and comfort level. Those things are important. My first
dog started slowing down, and then started leading me out into traffic when
I crossed streets and the paralllel was to my left. At that point, for my
own sanity, it was time to retire. On the other hand, if the pup pulls to
the left, yet he/she is still guiding and not running you into stuff, and
your concern is about image or about walking with people, I've learned in
all my time with dogs that sometimes, we have to let go of some things in
order to enjoy the overall big picture. If your dog's guide work is well,
and the left tendency is not putting you at risk of harm, and your pup is
7, how much do you really want to put effort into fixing it? Not minimizing
your struggle, but I think it's something valid to ask.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970)
(393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!