[NAGDU] GDF questions

David david at bakerinet.com
Tue Feb 12 03:33:33 UTC 2019

See interlineal responses

*David in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com*
On 2/11/2019 6:33 PM, Madison Martin via NAGDU wrote:
> Hi all, Ideally I want to get a guide dog from CGDB, but if that doesn't
> work then I've become interested in applying to GDF. Now I'm pretty sure
> that there is at least one GDF grad on this list, if there isn't then no one
> has to reply to my message. I'm wondering, what did you think of the
> application process?
The application process was pretty standard.  Questionnaire, video clip,
doctor report, report from O&M training
> What were the facilities like?
Facilities are more than adequate.  Individual rooms, break room,
laundry, gift shop
>   What were the meals like?
IMHO. the food was great.  Well prepared, lots of variety.
>   What were the staff and instructors like?
I found staff to be very helpful, responsive, professional.  Always
available, willing to work through problems, and very attentive.
>   What's their training program like?
3 years ago, we had a 10 day program, plus 2 days of travel.  It was
pretty rigorous.  Certainly didn't have trouble sleeping at night. The
routes and travel locations were diverse.  City training at that time
included subway and busy section of Queens.  Claire Rose (my pup) loved it.
>   What's their follow-up service like (do they have yearly visits, or do they only come if you need/want them to)?
No yearly visits, but they are good at responding to needs and problems,
including home visits.
>   Does GDF retain ownership of the dog, or do they transfer ownership to the handler?
It is your choice.
> Do they help cover the costs of vet care and other expenses?
If I remember correctly, we had a $200 stipend to use for meds and vet care.
>   What's their equipment like?
Stainless steel bowl, leather offset harness, Martingale collar